Fr. Arthur Mulka1926 - 2012
Rey. Fr. Arthur C. Mulka age 86 of Alpena,
passed away October 26, 2012 at
Alpena Regional Medical Center.
He was born March 20, 1926 in Rogers City
to Stanley and Victoria (Buzala) Mulka.
Arthur attended St. Ignatius School from 1932 to 1940, His education continued at
Rogers City High School. From 1940 to 1951 he studied at minor and major
seminaries located at St. Joseph, Grand Rapids, Sacred Heart, Detroit, and
Catholic University at Washington, DC. He was ordained to the Priesthood for the
Diocese of Saginaw by Bishop Stephen Woznicki on June 2, 1951 at St. Mary
Cathedral. His first appointment was that of assistant at Sacred Heart Parish, Merrill.
Following a brief stay at St. Bernard , Alpena, he was transferred as assistant pastor
at St. Mary Parish, Bay City in 1953. In 1956 he was appointed assistant pastor at
St. Mary Parish, Alpena, until his transfer to St. Hyacinth Parish, Bay City in 1958.
On September 28, 1959 he was appointed pastor at St. Joseph Parish, Argyle,
with St. Ignatius Mission, Austin, He assumed the pastorate on June 14, 1963 at
St. Joseph Parish, East Tawas. His other pastorates were Holy Rosary, Cedar;
St. Augustine, Hillman; Sacred Heart, Elk Rapids; and Sacred Heart, Riggsville.
After his injury in 1996, Fr. Mulka retired from pastoral ministry and served
weckend ministry wherever he was needed in the Diocese of Gaylord.
Fr. Mulka is survived by:
his siblings, Fr. Ray Mulka of Alpena, Louise (Dom) Mauti of Clarkston,
Leopold of Rogers City, and Ed (Mae) of Rogers City;
many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by:
3 sisters, Blanche Daas, Cecelia Lewandowski, and Irene Heinzel;
2 brothers, Paul and Lawrence
Friends may visit at St. Ignatius Catholic Church on Tuesday from 9:00 a.m. until
time of Mass at 11:00 a.m. with The Most Reverend Bernard A. Hebda,
Bishop of Gaylord and Priests of the Diocese of Gaylord officiating.
Arrangements are in care of the Beck Funeral Home.
Interment will take place at Mt. Calvary Catholic Cemetery.
Memorials may be given to St. Ignatius Catholic School
in memory of Fr. Arthur Mulka.